Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cool Enough

So All Points West was cool enough, but that was mainly because I got to spend a beautiful summer day watching live music with Hunter :)

My favorite performance was by Nicole Atkins [pictured] and her band The Sea.

Nicole Atkins - Cool Enough

She's such a natural on stage, her witty banter and energized presence made it feel like a variety show. Plus her cover of Patti Smith's "Pissing in a River" killed. Time Out Chicago says she's working on a covers album, isn't that grand?:



The rest of day was a tad exhausting, and not in a good way. It might have been the hour and a half that we spent waiting for the ferry to take us back to Manhattan, or the fact that I've possibly been spoiled by all of the awesome outdoor music shows that I've been to in the city (most for free...). It all seemed for not.

I don't know if it has something to do with my year away, but activities that were once routine weren't as fun as they used to be. I don't know how I kept up when I was living in the city. I was practically running on empty then. It was great being back, but it oddly made me feel more at peace with my decision to leave and the idea that I can actually make a life for myself elsewhere. And that the city will always be there when I'm good and ready, should I decide to have another go of it.

The show that I was most excited for, the one that I bought my APW ticket for, was well, a bust. I think there's a blog whose name says it best; "it's not the band I hate, it's their fans."

While Hunter and I were struggling in vain to hold on to our prime viewing spots over at stage left, a group of annoying teenage girls squirmed their way to the front of the crowd assembled to see Radiohead. One claimed that she was clausterphobic and couldn't breathe because there were, like, so many people!!!! And another, without missing a beat, squawked, "Um, so like, who's on next?!"

Sigh. Jesus wept.


"...This place got nothing,
that I could want.
But I think that someday,
I might feel different..."

No comments: