Monday, July 21, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Oh my gosh, I loved this movie.

Well, I have to admit, I'm a bit partial. I grew up with a mother who listened to French pop, Julio Iglesias, and yes, ABBA. I had the melody of "I Have a Dream" stuck in my head long before there was ever such a thing as a hit Broadway play inspired by Benny and Bjorn's tunes.

But I think one could enjoy this movie even if they didn't grow up listening to ABBA. Yes, several critics (okay, more than several...) have rebuked the film for its string-thin plot, Pierce Brosnan's painful vocals, and the grave thespian crime of over-acting commited by more than one character. But then there's the way the water surrounding the movie's Greek island is a brilliant blue that can't be adequately described, and the way that Julie Walters and other members of the strong supporting cast steal the show. And all of the little mechanical problems fall to the wayside, especially when Meryl Streep gets dressed up in grand disco gear to sing "Dancing Queen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The movie is good, but it does not compare to seeing the musical live. Live it is like a rock show and the movie just does not come across like that.