Monday, February 25, 2008

Best Song


I sat through the entire Oscars ceremony, almost by accident. I was writing and there's a TV right next to my computer, so it became my background noise for the evening. I'm glad I did, this year's awards show was more sincere and unfiltered than most of the others I've seen. The list of winners were largely internationals which I thought was pretty awesome, and everyone was wearing red for some reason, which I thought was really strange.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won the Best Song award for one of the many brilliant songs they composed that filled the year's most captivating film, Once. This is a slightly different version of the award winning song, it is from The Frames' album, The Frames being Glen's band.

The Frames - Falling Slowly

Anyway, when they gave their acceptance speech, Glen got a chance to give his thank yous, but they cut the mic off when it was Marketa's turn. So when the program returned from commercial break, host Jon Stewart gave Marketa her fifteen seconds to say what she wanted to say.

She said that this award meant something not just for her and Glen but for the other struggling indie musicians out there with a dream. I'm paraphrasing, but it was really nice.

No comments: