Sunday, January 6, 2008

So This Is The New Year

Another year, another number after the two-double-O to get used to for the next 359 days. But there are many signs that this year will be one for the books. This is an election year, and to say that it is an important one would be an understatement. The year's first week on Wall Street was a rough one, namely due to fears of a possible recession. Creatively, 2008 has gotten its start off with a writer's strike and a music industry on the verge of flatlining. And on a personal note, I'm beginning 2008 in Texas, three months after I moved here from New York (I can't believe it!)

But the thing that keeps me writing this blog, the thing I practically live for, 2008 will be in no shortage of. I'm looking forward to a lot more great music from artists old and new, particularly the ones that I've managed to memorize every single word and song on fabulous EPs they've made. I'm excited to hear full-length albums from wonderful bands like Ra Ra Riot, The Big Sleep, Black Kids, and The Dimes this year, but no one has me more psyched than Ms. Santi White, aka Santogold.



Santogold has drawn early comparisons to her friend M.I.A., but the similarities really end with their identical Day-Glo trainers. Santogold's voice rings true and unapologetically bold, a voice that is unafraid to call out the posers and the "namedroppers." I simply cannot wait to hear a proper set once it's finished. I think 2008 will be her year.

Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes

Now if only we could get some North American Radiohead tour dates scheduled this year...

No comments: