Wednesday, January 30, 2008

How are Things on the West Coast?

By the sound of these songs, just peachy keen

I heard this song over the weekend, and I couldn't believe it was by Pinback. The Pinback I was introduced to my freshman year in college was a group from San Diego that wrote aching lyrics and subtle compositions that rarely rose above an in-doors voice.

Pinback - Good to Sea

they definitely sound more commercial on their new album, Autumn of the Seraphs, but I happen to think they wear commercial appeal quite well.

Portland's Helio Sequence have a new record out too. This reverb-heavy, Band of Horses-like number is lovely.

Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead

and



Sometimes-San Francsisco-resident Thao Nguyen [pictured] released her Kill Rock Stars debut, We Brave Bee Stings and All, yesterday. Thao's lilting vocals and folk bend are infectious.

Thao Nguyen - Bag of Hammers

Thao is currently on tour with her labelmates, Xiu Xiu.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love this pinback song! I can hear the more mainstream sound, but avant-garde mechano-rock is still there... underneath it all...

This song makes me feel like smiling.