Wednesday, September 12, 2007

This Means War

“We need not talk about our morale. As committed soldiers, we will see this mission through.”
-From the New York Times, “The War as We Saw It”, August 19, 2007

Somehow I missed this poignant Op-Ed piece in the Times in August, but I found myself reading and rereading it today. It was written by seven soldiers stationed in Iraq and mainly consists of a jumbled run-through of the war’s brief yet deeply disastrous history; the failed alliances, the directionless mission, the growing list of enemies, the sense that we’re more lost than we’ve ever been.

While Petraeus flubbed his way through Congressional hearings on the surge’s “progress” on Monday, FishbowlNY reports that two of the article’s authors died in a vehicle roll-over accident.

I thought about the strangers’ thoughts laid out before me while reading. I wondered which fallen soldier created what sentence, and what they possibly sacrificed in order to voice their dissent and disapproval.

They weren’t afraid to say what needed to be said; brave enough to admit defeat, and brave enough to honor a promise they made to this country before they were men. What gives.

No comments: