Sunday, September 9, 2007

Fort Greene Fest

I unexpectedly found myself at the Fort Greene Fest yesterday, last minute plans that I'm glad worked out. The weather was beautiful, and the festival offered me some precious time to chill with friends. The day was filled with local jazz and soul musicians, apart from Talib Kweli, who was the headliner.

Talib was fun and energetic as usual, hating on the crowd for not buying his new record and giving a shout out to his fellow "babies of the 70's!!!" His one-time protege, Jean Grae, came out on stage to join him. I love this chick! She's an impeccable lyricist and can roll with the best of them. I haven't heard from her in a minute. I remember seeing her two summers ago, thinking she was the next big thing, but alas, that came and went. Well, hopefully she gets the recognition she deserves and soon.

I enjoyed another act as well, a young lady named Shae Fiol. She's originally from Oregon and has moved to Brooklyn to launch her music career (like so many do these days it seems.) One of my friends thinks she sounds like "that lady who made a good first record but now sucks," referring to Nelly Furtado. I think she sounds like a soulful, pre-"Konichiwa Bitches" Robyn.

Comparisons aside, Shae has a knowing artistic soul about her, and is incredibly talented. Check for her album to drop at the end of the year she says. I picked up an EP of hers at the show, and have been listening to this song since.

Shae Fiol - I'll Be Waiting


It's going to be hard to leave.

2 comments:

Hunter Wry said...

Wow, I'm loving this song. She's really good.

jb said...

heard it was extra thick out there. sorry i missed it.