Monday, August 13, 2007

Zap Mama


I stepped out of the house Sunday afternoon, looking to take up in a bookstore or café, an activity that’s usually only fit for me myself and I. But a friend from school texted me about joining her for some music in Central Park, and in an eternal effort to break out of my loner tendencies, I obliged. It’s funny how that happens. Sometimes I feel all alone in this big city, and then there are times when it’s nearly impossible to find the time to be on my own. I’ve come to appreciate both instances.

On this week's Summerstage bill was Belgian Afro-fusion group Zap Mama. What can I say about this group of misfits… they’re strange, but happily content with their outcast lot. They’re also very talented, and lead singer Marie Daulne’s vocals sound so familiar, like I’ve heard them on a Thievery Corporation track (a possibility I haven’t had the chance to look into yet.)

This song was a stand-out from the band’s performance, and is a track from the group’s brand spanking new album, Supermoon.

Zap Mama - Affection


According to this press release, “Affection” was written after a good friend of Daulne passed away. That makes it all the more special for me. I’m glad that she decided to share her story with all of us.

No comments: