Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Sam Cooke Double Feature



I've been listening to a lot of Sam Cooke lately, mostly because I recently saw two very good movies that feature Cooke songs in them. His is a voice I've known for quite some time, but I didn't realize the breadth nor magnitude of Cooke's work until listening to "A Change is Gonna Come" for the first time in the film "Talk to Me."

Sam Cooke – A Change is Gonna Come


It's a song that will make you notice a new thing upon each listen. Cooke's pristine tenor appears clearer around the third play, the way he sings 'ever-y since' astounds on the fifth. It always means something. Cooke's story is almost as fascinating as his music, the tragedy of a young fallen star. It's the stuff legends are made of really.

This is another Cooke classic
Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home To Me

And here's some footage of Cooke singing "For Sentimental Reasons" on through "You Send Me" followed by audio of a poor excuse for an interview (Youtube is one helluva drug.)

3 comments:

bug said...

You should read Dream Boogie. The guy is a true SC historian. http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Boogie-Triumph-Sam-Cooke/dp/0316377945

Also, there are Sam Cooke playlists on iTunes that are worth checking out. I swear my brother raised me on his music.

The DoorKeeper said...

I'm reading Dream Boogie at the moment - just got to the part about writing "A Change is Gonna Come"

It's been hard to put down, but I did manage to get to work everyday. What an eye opener - definitely recommended.

Sofiblu said...

Okay, I gotta get this book now, thanks guys :)