Friday, August 3, 2007

M.I.A. Sticks It To The Man

Well, a major indie-music website to start

M.I.A. did a phone interview with Pitchfork, and it appears venom was on the menu along with those pancakes...
The rapper spoke out about creative ownership of her image and music, as well as those pesky rumors about her Sri Lankan warlord father.

I'm glad that M.I.A. took this chance to say enough is enough.

The entire interview is chock full of excellent comebacks (I highly encourage a read through), but here are a few I enjoyed:

"I just find it a bit upsetting and kind of insulting that I can't have any ideas on my own because I'm a female or that people from undeveloped countries can't have ideas of their own unless it's backed up by someone who's blond-haired and blue-eyed. After the first time it's cool, the second time it's cool, but after like the third, fourth, fifth time, maybe it's an issue that we need to talk about, maybe that's something important, you know."

"That's what I'm saying. There is an issue especially with what male journalists write about me and say "this MUST have come from a guy." I can understand that, I can follow that, that's fine. But when female journalists as well put your work and things down to it being all coming from a man, that really fucks me up. It's bullshit. I mean, for me especially, I felt like this is the only thing I have, and if I can stick my neck out and go for the issues and go through my life as it is, the least I can have is my creativity. … I'm not going to give that credit, whatever my life is and whatever my lifestyle and whatever people in Sri Lanka feel is right, like somebody masterminded it. You know what I mean? I think that's bullshit."

"I have no ties to my dad, I had no communications with him, it didn't shape who I am or anything like that, I'm actually a product of my mom. And I think that I find really surprising [the fact that] I paid the price for not having a father and it granted me strength, but I'm having to pay again. Even though I've kind of made it, I still have to go through my dad and get good at certain situations with people that are ignoring the fact that I didn't have him in my life. You don't really get to choose where you're born and who you're born to."


Right on sister.

You can take a listen to M.I.A.'s new jam in a GvB link.

The new album, Kala, is out this month.

and I love this video

No comments: