Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Hairy Situation

I've gotten questions about my hair all of my life. From the other little girls in my ballet class, from my high school theater group, from my college freshman year roommate.

Inquiries have significantly increased since I've gone 'natural.' Understandable curiosity has been replaced with outright inappropriateness. A fellow at work has been asking me 'hair questions' for a few months now, but went a bit too far on Friday afternoon.

For the most part, I don't mind answering questions and addressing people's ignorance

but

I never asked the little girls in my ballet class why they washed their hair everyday. I never asked my high school theater group why they went to the salon to 'frost their tips.' I never asked my college freshman year roommate why she flat-ironed her hair every morning. And I never asked my coworker if I could touch. his. hair.

Something to think about.

Props to India.Arie for breaking it down.

India.Arie - I Am Not My Hair

1 comment:

Hunter Wry said...

wow... yeah we should talk.