Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dance Dance Revolution

I’ve been meaning to do a write up on John Vanderslice for some time now. I made plans to go see him perform at Soundfix last weekend, but those plans came undone. Vanderslice’s music sounds like thought process set to slowly-cooked melodies, be it an anti-war, 9/11 statement

John Vanderslice – Exodus Damage

Or a sort-of love song

John Vanderslice – Trance Manual


He says this about his thoughts on the war to Gothamist:

There are references to 9/11 in some of your songs. Did you find that day changed the tone of the country's creative output?
I think the US had a collective psychotic episode following 9/11. It so weakened us a people, we allowed a small group of radical industrialists to sell us a preemptive two-front war based on falsified intelligence. Iraq is easy to see as a debacle, but Afghanistan was also a scam right from the get-go.

A scam? I’ve never really been one for conspiracy theories. I suppose “I’m not sick enough to guess.” Or maybe I'm unprepared for a horrible truth.

Check out Vanderslice’s new album Emerald City.

No comments: