Thursday, July 19, 2007

Nothing But Red

"I look and I see the earth in flames. Her face was nothing but red."

These two lines are stunningly poetic and sorrowful as they bear witness to our increasingly miserable lot. They're from a rant by "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon published a few months ago. His words have also inspired a book due out next spring.

Shamefully, I first learned of a young woman named Dua Khalil Aswad yesterday while reading A Salon Broadsheet post. Aswad's honor killing was captured on cell phones for all the world to see, and inspired Whedon to rail on, among other things; misogyny, "womb envy," and a call to 'enlightened activist' arms. (By the way, I think "womb envy" is a pitiful cop out. I don't think I will ever understand the reason for the mistreatment of women around the world, everyone has a mother, right?)

I suggest reading the entire passage, however meandering and rambling it can be at times, it's a very passionate wake up call.

But for whom?

I wonder, is it something more if a man writes a 900+ word diatribe against it? Why does it take an especially heinous crime halfway around the globe to spark our attention?

I don't know.

No comments: