Sunday, July 1, 2007

Malajube is tres cool


Sure I made the trek to Prospect Park last night to watch The Stills, but I left with a burning flame for Malajube, a band of strapping young lads hailing from Montreal who like to play their guitars really loud, scream, and jump around excessively on stage. And the lead singer also has a penchant for wearing what appears to be one fifth of a cuddly bear costume, as demonstrated above. Malajube is really fun.

I've been reading things about this band in music zines and blogs for over a year now, but I never got around to hearing them. I guess it was one of those things you overlook until you're, well, at a concert where they happen to be opening for The Stills.

There tend to be a loose number of musical themes at play within Malajube's songs, a feat that could prove directionless and rambling were it not for their impressive ability to craft such full and rounded melodies like here in "La Monogamie."

Malajube - La Monogamie

Malajube's new album is called Trompe L'Oeil. Cop it but don't drop it.

And now, an open letter to the Stills:

Dear 'The Stills,'

When you burst onto the scene those few years ago, you were hip, you wore skinny jeans, and your greasy coifs were immaculately disheveled. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to Logic, I thank for making such a rocking good time of a record. The lyrics were poetry. Come on, "The girl will scar you"? So true! I even saw you in concert. It was rad.

Now you still wear the skinny jeans, you have perfected the greasy hair look, but there is something (or dare I say, someone?) sinister at work that could potentially damage your street cred. Who and the what am I speaking of you ask? The fellow to my left. You don't need a keyboardist. I can't even listen to the new record, the organ playing is deafening. So get rid of him, he's cramping your style, and he likes to wear funny hats. Nuff said.

No comments: