Sunday, June 17, 2007

This is Not Chick Lit

Is the title of a collection of short stories that I picked up last week. The book's provocative challenge to round up America's best women writers as the antithesis to the ever popular chicklit tradition might have inspired me to leaf through its pages, but I ended up making the purchase almost entirely based on the strength of the first entry. Nigerian American author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's "The Thing Around Your Neck" was so good, I had to read passages aloud in the bookstore.
Sometimes you can read an entire book where a character never really develops or becomes known; Adichie reveals her central subject fully in a matter of 12 riveting pages. She is every bit of the writer I aspire to be.
Adichie's two novels have definitely made their way onto my summer reading list. She's no new marvel, but I am glad to finally be acquainted.

No comments: