Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rainha



I've been listening to this voice all morning. I caught CeU opening for Carolinhos Brown last night at Nokia, and while it was a random pairing, a sultry songbird and the life of the Bahia party, the polar temperaments worked somehow.

You might have seen her face plastered all over Starbucks, but I curiously never heard any of her music until now (well, I tend to steer clear of this world music as novelty craze, but that's a story for another time.)

I think I enjoy CeU's presence so much because she strikes me as a musician who is aware. CeU gleamed about her appreciation for the greats who came before her in between songs, revering the Afro-beat school of rhythm, and even paying homage to the father of that great musical tradition, Fela Kuti, with the throwback tune "Rainha."

And she whips up a more than adequate rendition of "Concrete Jungle."

1 comment:

Hunter Wry said...

Me Gusta! She does remind me a little of Sade, but like an earthier version if that makes any sense.