Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tedium

There's a work advice column at the magazine, and since nobody wrote in this week, the editor of the column asked me if I could contact my friends to see if they would be interested in seeking advice.
After getting several responses from my girlfriends and my brother, I have come to the conclusion that most people my age don't like their jobs all that much.
I shared some of the responses with the editor, and she said something to the effect of "Gee, that first job is such a let down." And it's true. It's a complete letdown. No one tells you that the feeling of wasting your potential along with your brain cells occurs often or that hard work doesn't always pay off out here in the 'real world.'
I thought the exchange below was particularly amusing. I don't know what I'd do without Gchat to keep me connected to the outside world while I labor away in my desolate island of a cubicle. Oh, and Mary is awesome :)

me: hey would you like job advice?

Mary: yes please

Sent at 12:53 PM on Wednesday

me: there's an advice column in the magazine
and the editor asked me to ask my friends if they wanted job advice
what's a problem you have been having at work?

Mary: this job makes me want to find some lemurs to claw my eyes out and play a game of ping pong

me: why do you hate it?

Mary: it's boring
tedius work
mindless
they give me lots and lots of mindless things to do
so much that i can't keep up with it, nor do i want to
i would rather sit and stare at a wall for 8 hours

me: i just laughed out loud at your response

Mary: ok here's a question

how do college graduates who don't have connections get their foot in the door if they want to have jobs in creative industries, or industries like publishing, entertainment, etc?

me: goooood question

Mary: how do you even know that this field is worth it?
should creative people sell their souls?
how do you get it back if you've already sold it
why is the sky blue
oh how cruel is the world.... sigh

Sent at 1:01 PM on Wednesday

me: that's a good question

No comments: